Saturday, January 8, 2011

Today we took advantage of the perfect weather on our day off together and headed to Gatorland. Colin and I had been there pre-kids, but this was Jack and Grace's first trip. A fun time was had!
Walking in

So serious!

A little smile  - I think she was a bit annoyed that she had to be stuck in her stroller.

Watching the alligators



"Hey, look! It's my name."

Watching everything

Very observant

This was one of Jack's favorite parts of the park - the goats.

This was definitely his favorite part - the train ride. He wanted to go again when it was over.

I wanted to share recipes from our super fast and tasty dinner tonight. These were both taken out of the Betty Crocker Cookbook, which my parents got me for Christmas because my Grandma Heide thinks it's great. We also made some good pork chops out of the book. I'm planning on making Cheddar biscuits one night this week too. I was especially impressed with the mac and cheese because I've been trying, without success, to master this dish for a long time!! Both were delish!

Macaroni and Cheese
Ingredients:
2 cups elbow macaroni (I used half elbow macaroni and half corkscrew pasta)
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
2 cups milk
2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese (I mixed with Monterey Jack)

Directions:
Heat oven to 350 F.

Cook and drain pasta as directed on package.

In 3-quart saucepan, melt butter over low heat. Stir in flour, salt, pepper, mustard and Worcestershire sauce. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is smooth and bubbly; remove from heat. Stir in milk. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute; remove from heat. Stir in cheese until melted. I also added a few chunks of Velveeta just because I like the flavor, but that isn't in the recipe. Next time I might mix in some Colby Jack as well.

Gently stir pasta into cheese sauce. Pour into ungreased 2-quart casserole dish.

Bake uncovered 20-25 minutes or until bubbly.

Potato Chip Chicken
Ingredients:
4 cups crushed chips (we used Queso Ruffles, but it says you can use sour cream and onion, BBQ, Cheddar and sour cream, etc.)
1 tablespoon parsley flakes
1 large egg
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts

Directions:
In shallow bowl, mix crushed potato chips and parsley. In another shallow bowl, beat egg and Worcestershire sauce.

In 10-inch nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-low heat. Dip chicken into egg mixture, then coat with potato chip mixture.

Cook chicken in oil 10-12 minutes, turning once, until deep golden brown and juice of chicken in clear when center at thickest part is cut.

1 comment:

The Fulmer Family said...

mmmmm, I'm making this chicken recipe tonight!!!!!